Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Off The Grid: Mount Scott

In my last post I talked about my trip with my boyfriend, Ian, to the adorable town of Medicine Park. Well like with most places, you check out of your lodging arrangements in the morning or the early afternoon. After a quick pancake breakfast, we packed up our things and said goodbye to Grandma's Cabin.

Seeing as it was only 9AM, we weren't quite ready to head home yet. We decided to do some exploring of the areas surrounding the town. First on the list was Mt. Scott. We could see it from the cabin, and I was incredibly excited to go up a mountain for the first time. The mountain was a few miles from the town so we drove to get there and, even though we could have parked at the bottom and walked up, we drove up to the top too. Ain't nobody got time to walk three miles up a mountain.

Once we got to the top I was overwhelmed at how beautiful the view was. You could see everything from the lake, to the plains, to thousands of trees that looked like tiny bushes. We climbed around on some of the rocks around the observation deck and talked to an elderly couple who took a picture of me sitting on a rock. His words were "You can't get a proper perspective of how big these rocks are unless you have a person sitting on them." They were so nice, but man I wish I got him to send me that picture!
   


View from the top of Mt. Scott
After about 30 minutes on top of the mountain we drove back down and decided to check out the wildlife reserve. The visitors center had a little museum that told us about some of the animals we might encounter while we were out there. Then we tried to go on a little hike down a trail we found; this lasted approximately five minutes before I got scared because I'm pretty sure I heard a rattlesnake. Ian says it was probably just an insect of some sort, but he didn't want me to freak out so we just went back. I feel kind of bad though, because the landscape really was beautiful.

At this point we weren't really sure what else to do and it was only 11:30, so we considered going to Lawton to see what there was to do there. After a quick Google search we saw that we weren't too far from The Holy City of the Wichitas. I had completely forgotten that my co-worker, Cassie, had recommended we go there. She described it as feeling like you were going back in time to biblical times. This intrigued us enough to we decided to stop by.


The Holy City is apparently home to the longest running Passion play in the nation. Many of its structures are used as backdrops for the play, but it is open year-round for visitors to explore. I climbed up the stairs of some of the structures and we walked around the city for a while. For the most part we were very confused. We weren't really sure why this place existed until we figured out about the play, but then we weren't sure why it was placed out in the middle of nowhere. It seems like something that would be closer to a town or city in order to draw in a bigger crowd. However, after my Google research I discovered that they have no problem bringing people in. One year, they had a congregation of 40,000 people to view the show. Go figure.
He's making a silly face, but still not a bad picture together.
After the Holy City, we were both pretty tired so we decided to turn back towards home. It was a fun and rewarding trip. We got to experience new things, see new places, and best of all we got to do it together. I truly can't wait to see what other adventures are in store for us.

-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment