Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Off the Grid: Medicine Park

I don't go on full blown adventures often, but when I do it is always an amazing experience. This time a had a few days off work, and Ian (my boyfriend) and I went on a little trip. Since we only had a couple of days we decided to go somewhere nearby that neither of us had been before. At the suggestion of Ian's co-worker, we went to a little town called Medicine Park.

Medicine Park is a long-time resort town where many of the structure are built mostly out of cobblestone. It is home to many friendly locals, a charming swimming location called Bath Lake, a cabin where Bonnie and Clyde reportedly stayed while they were on the run, and the Old Plantation Restaurant that has a rich history of its own
Bath Lake

Ian and I decided to stay in Grandma's Cabin. It was a quaint and adorable setup that actually reminded me of staying at my grandma's house when I was little. It was complete with an antique eagle claw bathtub, a wood burning fireplace, and a deck overlooking the dam and Mt. Scott. To be honest I would totally live in a little house like that, provided I could replace the "grandma" decor with a bit of my own flair.
*Credits for the cabin photos go to Medicine Park Rentals






We arrived on Sunday night, which is not a great time to visit the town if you're looking to see all of the shops and attractions it has to offer, but Monday and Tuesday were my days off. After we settled into the cabin we walked down the street, past all the empty storefronts, to Park Tavern. Lucky for us it was open until midnight that night. This is where we really got to spend time with the locals. They were all friendly; they took our suggestions for the jukebox, bought us shots, and spent a few good hours getting to know us. Ian and I indulged ourselves in a game of life-sized Jenga (I won by the way) and really had a fantastic time. Needless to say the walk, or stumble, back to the cabin was interesting.
Life-Sized Jenga.
Sorry for the picture quality. We were drinking.
The next morning we slept in because that's what you do when you're both hungover and on vacation. When we finally got around we went to the Old Plantation to grab lunch. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice, but what really interested me was the history they had printed on the back of their menus. Apparently the bar and restaurant was a popular place to go in the 20's. The main floor was used for dancing while "pretty ladies" conducted business entertaining men upstairs. In the basement people gambled, and there are rumors that there were tunnels leading out of the building for those running from the police.

Since we were visiting the town when everything is basically closed, we spent the rest of the day walking around and exploring the scenery. I loved jumping around on the rocks surrounding the river, and the waterfalls were beautiful. I was also amused by the number of abandoned cobblestone structures. I don't know if they used to be homes, or cabins, or attractions of the town when it was in it's heyday, but never have I seen that many abandoned, broken down buildings in such close proximity to each other.





After our walk we ate dinner at the Old Plantation; it was the only place open in town and we still had plenty to try on the menu. When we got back to the cabin we sat down to relax and watch Tiny House Nation before going out on the deck and lighting a fire in the wood stove and making s'mores.

The trip was such a blast, I do wish that we were able to go when the town was awake and bustling, but I do think we will go back again to experience more of what Medicine Park has to offer. This time, it was just nice to get away from the city and have a quiet couple of days alone together.

The town was great, but that wasn't the end of our trip. Tune in next time when I recount our exciting trip up Mt. Scott and over to the Holy City of The Wichitas.
See you next time!
-Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment