Wednesday, August 3, 2016

I Graduated College!

This post has been a long time coming. About a month ago I graduated with my bachelors degree in Professional Media from the University of Central Oklahoma. For those of you who don't know, a class I took during my time here was the birthplace of this blog.
I know I looked bad. I was moving out of my dorm that day as well as graduating. on the bright side my brother and sister look fly AF.

During my four years of college I joined nine student organizations, held seven different jobs, took over 124 hours of course credit, learned to kayak, and met some of the most amazing people I've ever known. Sounds like an adventure to me.

Obviously, this post would be entirely too long if I mapped out every little thing I did in my time at school. Honestly it would probably be too long even if I broke it up into four parts (one for each year). So unfortunately we will just settle for a few of the highlights. These are the things college taught me.

1.) High School is not the best years of your life.
And THANK GOD for that. Who wants to live in a world where everyone peaks before their 20th birthday. Like, what am I supposed to do with the remaining 80 years of my life? That being said, I'm not sure college is the best years either. Don't get me wrong, they are AMAZING years. Even now I find myself wishing I could take a few classes, immerse myself in coursework, and spend my evenings longboarding around campus or talking to friends until the sun came up. That being said, there is so much more AFTER college to look forward to. We are each given the continuous opportunity to learn and grow. As long as we remember that and keep striving to achieve the lives we all want, then we can take solace in the thought that the best years of our lives are still yet to come.

2.)College is NOT easy.
I will admit that I called it easy a few times in my four years. To be fair, I'm a natural student and it seemed to come fairly easy to me. However, in my last semester I realized just how detrimental distractions can be to a college student. Thousands of students drop out every year because they feel they have let things slip too far. I almost lost my footing in my last remaining months because I was focus on my family rather than my schoolwork. Luckily for me, I had done enough earlier in the year that I was able to graduate with one A, one B, one C, and two Ds.
I know a lot of times life gets in the way, but my advice is try and stay focused. Your GPA will thank you.

3.)Get INVOLVED!
I can't stress this enough. Whether it's Greek life, Housing, a multicultural organization, or your schools resident nerd organization (UCO had a few of those), Organizations are where you will meet life long friends. Those people will make the whole experience worth it. I know there are a million statistics about how students who get involved are less likely to drop out, but just to hammer in the point I have anecdotal evidence. (YAY, story time!)
I knew someone who started their freshman year at a different school than me. He knew a few people there from high school so he didn't feel the need to get to know anyone else. Of course at this point his high school friends had already built their college lives and made friends and they didn't want to spend all of their time with him. He basically sabotaged himself by limiting his options so much., and sure enough he became isolated, suicidal, and dropped out before the end of his first year.
Like it or not people make college amazing, not classes. Whether it's a professor, a classmate, or a roommate, it always feels better to have someone on your side when navigating the harsh waters of higher education.

4.)Live on Campus
I may be biased here because I lived on campus for all four years of college, but I can honestly say it was well worth it for me. I met some of my best friends, learned what kind of people I can't live with, learned how to balance hard work and a social life, and I had an amazing time. I can't count how many times my friends and I wandered the campus at night or took naps in each other's rooms between classes. I know living on campus for the entirety of college isn't realistic for most people, but I have to recommend doing it at least once. It can be a little cramped, but where else can you roll out of bed five minutes before class and still be on time? I rest my case.

I still need to add my photo and my real tassel to the frame, but that is my actual diploma!
5.)Finish Strong
I know I make this all sound amazing, but I'll be the first to admit that some days you can't be bothered to go to class, and others you wonder if you should drop out. DON'T! If my student loans are any indicator, college is too expensive and way to helpful to give up. Besides, there is nothing like opening that envelop and seeing your degree for the first time.

In the end your college experience is whatever you want it to be. Take advantage of the time you have and the opportunities that it can give you. They may not be the best years of your life, but they can still be amazing years in your life.

Good Luck
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment