Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Allie tries Maple Holistics: Degrease Shampoo

Hi and welcome back to the blog!
The past month the or so I've been trying out a new hair product. For this of you who don't know my hair is super fine, pretty oily, color treated, and I have a ton of it. I'm quite protective of it so I only wash it about every three days and I'm picky when it comes to what I put in it product-wise.

So when Maple Holistics reached out to me about trying their tea tree shampoo I was intrigued but not completely sold. First, I'm not a fan of how tea tree oil smells. I live the benefits it provides but it has a serious medicinal smell to it. More than that many of the reviews seemed to come from customers who needed help with a dry scalp. Since I have the opposite problem, I relayed my concerns to the company and they suggested the alternative. That's good customer service!

Once I received the Degrease Shampoo in the mail I was super excited to try it out, but I did have to wait a day or two because I was only on day one of my hair being washed. But once that was over it was time to put this baby to a series of tests to see how it faired against my finicky hair. (Rhyming is fun 😆)

For the first wash I went all out and lathered it up on all of my hair. It did suffer the same problem many of my other shampoos have, where it doesn't really later the first time but after I rinse and repeat it gets really bubbly. I don't know if that's because the first go around has to cut through three days worth of oils before the second wash can really work it's magic, but that's my theory.

With this first wash I did notice that using the shampoo from root to tip made my ends dry out a ton. Since my hair is bleached it's already got some damage down there so that didn't feel great, but I will say that my hair stayed pretty matte at the roots and I was a fan of that. By day three you could see some oil build up but not quite as much as I usually have.

For the next wash I decided to try only washing my hair about halfway down with the Degrease Shampoo, and then finishing off with the purple color treatment conditioner I use. This felt a bit drying too, but that could be due to the amount of chemicals in the conditioner. This method worked pretty well and wasn't quite as drying on my ends as the first option.

All around I did enjoy using the shampoo. I added it to the rotation and I've been trying it with different varieties of conditioner to see what I like best. Because I wash my hair infrequently, and every other wash is usually the purple stuff (gotta keep the brassiness at bay) I would say I've probably used the Degrease Shampoo about 4 or 5 times. It does smell like you would expect an natural shampoo to smell (kinda plant like but not in a floral way that you would find with cheap drugstore soaps), but it has some hints off lemon that help make it more pleasant.

Overall I liked the shampoo. It's a bit drying but I think with a conditioner that is hydrating my ends could he much happier. I'm thinking of trying the argan oil conditioner they offer to test out that theory.

The Maple Holistics brand also promises to be all natural, sulfate free, safe for colored hair, made in the U.S.A., and cruelty free. <---- big points from me. I've already touched on their great customer service, but they also offer a 100% money back guarantee if you purchase something and don't like it for any reason. The prices aren't bad. Most of the individual shampoos and conditioners run between $9 and $12 (Degrease is $12.95) but you can also buy some of the sets they offer for around $20.

If you'd like to learn more about the products they offer, or find out how to try out some of the products for free, visit their website at MapleHolistics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment